Thank you so much to all of the families that supported members of the Class of 2018 on their trip to Tahoe! Students and faculty alike had a fantastic time!
We also want to share a huge thank you to the 2017-2018 Shasta faculty. At this point in the year, we want to take a moment to share updates for faculty members who are moving on to other exciting opportunities next school year:
- – Synclair Young is moving to work at a Summit school much closer to her home in the East Bay
- – Patricia Henriquez is matching her passions for education and technology in a new position at Clever
- – Jax Bialostozky is excited to welcome a new baby in the fall! She is moving to a school much closer to home in the East Bay to spend more time with her family.
- – Jackie O’Connor will be on site at Shasta doing research! She will be in and out of classrooms and working closely with many of our teachers.
In addition to these faculty updates, we want to share the following enhancements to our program for the 2018-2019 school year:
- – Integrated Science for 11th Grade: Next year, all 11th graders will be enrolled in a new science course called Integrated Science. This course is UC-approved, will replace Chemistry, and will be taught by our fabulous science teachers Bradley Davey and Andrew McCarty. This new course is aligned to Next Generation Science Standards and we are delighted to pilot such a hands-on and rigorous course on our campus!
- – Shasta Adding Dean of Instruction and Culture: Adelaide Giornelli will be returning to Shasta full time in the fall as the Dean of Instruction and Culture. She looks forward to coaching teachers on their classroom instruction and spending time working with student clubs, organizations, and student leaders to proactively shape the Shasta culture. We are thrilled to have her back!
- – New Facility Ready for 2018-2019 School Year: We are overjoyed to share that the new Summit Shasta facility will be completed this summer! We are moving to our new facility in July and are so excited to welcome all students to our new campus for the first day of school on August 15th!
If you have any questions about any of these updates, please reach out to us directly.
Finally, there is no school on Monday, May 28th for Memorial Day. We look forward to welcoming all students back on campus on Tuesday for the final round of Expeditions!
Wren and Ava
Please visit Summit Shasta on Facebook and follow us on Instagram at @SummitShastaOfficial.
UPCOMING EVENTS- PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDARS
- – 5/28- No School: Memorial Day
- – 6/2- Shasta Junior/Senior Prom
- – 6/6- Expeditions Celebration of Learning 5:00-7:30
- – 6/7- Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremony at 6:00
- – 6/7- Last Day of 2017-2018 School Year for Students
**For a full list of upcoming events, please review our events calendar.**
Save The Date: Black Bear Day on August 11th
You are cordially invited to the “First Annual Black Bear Day” on Saturday August 11th from 11:00am – 2:00pm. We will be celebrating the GRAND OPENING of our new campus! There will be School Tours, Music, Food, Fall Sports Team info, Student Club Registration and MORE!
Please save-the-date and we look forward to seeing you on Black Bear Day!
Beginning June 11th, all Summit Public Schools will no longer be utilizing MySchoolBucks as a payment option. We will be introducing and sending out more information on the new payment option in our Summer Mailer (July 16th).
**Note all student Mealtime Balances are due June 8th.
Bliss Creations continues to take orders for their custom made Lei’s – make sure to mention Shasta when ordering as we will receive 10% of total sales – . NO LIVE/REAL FLOWERS OR BALLOONS ARE PERMITTED IN THE SCOTTISH RITE.
Ticket packets and final graduation instructions along with caps and gowns will be distributed on Tuesday, May 29th after school. We will gather signatures from individuals picking up. If you do not wish to have your student responsible for the pick up please email email@example.com ASAP. We will arrange a time for pick up.
Check out Shasta’s Literary Magazine
This Literary Magazine is a compilation of short stories and poems from Ms. Mogannam’s second-semester Creative Writing class. The collection has no set theme but the writers took this opportunity to express various facets of their experiences in the world. Enjoy!
Shasta Biology Students Participate in a Dissection
During the last week of class, students in Mr. Lee’s Biology class participated in a fetal pig dissection. The dissection was the final lab activity in the year-long Biology sequence. As you can see, students had a lot of fun!
PARENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Save the Date: 6th Annual Summit Shasta Camping Trip August 16th and 17th
The 6th annual Summit Shasta camping trip is scheduled for August 16th and 17th!! In the next few weeks, we will be asking families to sign up if they are able to drive on the trip!
Looking for Parents to Help With Graduation
We are looking for a parents from the Class of 2019 to help with our graduation ceremony on Thursday, June 7th. If you are able to attend and help with ticket collection, please sign up here. If you are able to donate food to our graduation brunch, please sign up here!
Registration is Open for Fall 2018 Sports
Registration for fall sports at Shasta is now open! Please use this link to register for girls volleyball or cross country only.
Fall sports at Shasta will start on Monday, August 6, 2018. Exact start dates for each team may vary, and messaging will go to all registered athletes as we get closer to the start of the fall season.
In order to participate, all students wishing to participate in a fall sport MUST register by August 1, 2018 and have their updated medical form turned in to the school. If you do not have these completed, you will NOT be allowed to participate. If you are unsure of when your last sports physical was, please check with your doctor. The sports/medical packet can be found on the school website.
If you have any questions about registration, please contact our athletic director, Michael Lofberg, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class of 2018: College Application and Acceptances Updates
As of Friday, May 25th, 100% of the senior class has applied to at least one four year college or university! In addition, we are very excited to share that 95% of the seniors have already been accepted into the following colleges and universities:
- Arizona State University
- Boston University
- Brandeis University
- Butler University
- CSU Stanislaus
- Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
- Colorado Christian University
- Dominican University of California
- Evergreen State University
- Freed Hardeman University
- Indiana University: Bloomington
- Iowa State University
- Hampshire College
- Humboldt State
- Loyola Marymount University
- Mills College
- New Mexico Highlands University
- Newbury College
- Notre Dame de Namur
- Oregon State
- Pace University
- Portland State University
- Princeton University
- San Diego State University
- San Francisco State University
- San Jose State University
- Sonoma State University
- St. Mary’s College of California
- University of California – Berkeley
- University of California – Davis
- University of California – Irvine
- University of California -Los Angeles
- University of California – Merced
- University of California – Riverside
- University of California- San Diego
- University of California – Santa Barbara
- University of California – Santa Cruz
- University of Colorado – Boulder
- University of Minnesota
- University of Montana
- University of Puget Sound
- University of Southern California
- University of Utah
- Whittier College
- Willamette University